All things being equal, people buy from friends. And a friend only has one face. You should look at the relationships between organizations and customers from an interpersonal viewpoint. One Face Customer-Centric Digital Organizations will win the Digital Business battle, research has found that customer-centric companies were 60% more profitable compared to companies that were not focused on this kind of approach. (the essence of following principles works for offline businesses too). Be ready for the Customer-Centric Transformation.
What does it mean to be a Customer-Centric Digital Organization?
It’s a business strategy based on putting your customer at the core of your business. Customer centricity main action lines should include a customer designing experience focused leadership based on the customer real-time feedback. With actionable metrics (KPIs) supporting a continuous improvement data-driven cycle. Being a customer-centric organization essentially means understanding your User Experience and what paradigm shift or change you bring into those who use your products and services, what challenges are you solving for your customers, and how your customers are reacting to what you are doing (Customer Dynamics).
Create a consolidated data-driven model (profile) of the customer and use it as the engine for the rest of the organization agile movement toward the next product or service offering, your final goal is to anticipate customer needs. Beyond giving consumers control and options, remove the friction of engaging and lower the barriers to entry. It should now be as simple as a few taps on a mobile device.
Only you will be a true customer-centric organizacion if you are one face organization.
What does it mean to be a One Face Digital Organization?
One Face Digital Organization means to show a unique and consistent brand conversation & relationship in time and format with your customer. Go beyond the transactional nature of the interaction to look at emotions, intent, and desires. View interactions as a chain of events rather than single point occurrences.
You can see, in the figure above, we have added the “One Face Organization” level. These level is in charge of implement and show a unique brand face to the customer of our organization, independently of the channel used for interacting with the customer. This level represents the process, channels, people, technology and data with focus on this goal. (more details about this level in the post Digital Era Principles for being a true Digital Business Organization)
Customer dynamics happens over many channels and touch-points but only one face organization should exist if you want to win the digital battle. You’ve got to consider the whole picture. Customer experience is a cumulative process, consider all the touch-points of your company and the relationships it enacts and use them for building a data-driven actionable customer experience adapted in time and format with your customer expectative.
How to be a One Face Customer-Centric Digital Organization
Most companies have big challenges before to be customer centric. These are the main issues a Digital Organization have to work out for claiming to be Customer-Centric:
- Enact a common definition of Customer Centricity and real-time Customer Feedback.
- Be a data-driven digital organization: create a consolidated data-driven model of the customer.
- Observe the main Digital Era Principles for being a true Digital Business Organization
- Many touch-points but only one face organization transmitting the brand’s unique values to customer in a seamless experience throughout the lifecycle: educate (in induction and regular training) your people on this target and present the same features & services and look & feel thought your different customer relation channels (sales & support). In addition, in nowadays social digital world, you will need to show a corporate image aligned with your corporate values and maintain an open conversation with your customers in the social networks.
Base service accountability on customer service function (not product driven), with common experience based indicators.
- Include the customer in the new product or service cycle:
- Just ask for volunteers, start by asking the customers about how they want to have their voices included in the discovering process of the new product or service. What would they change? What new features would they like? Just getting customer insight is important early in the product design process.
- Select early adopter groups, do beta test and gather feedback from your customers. Catch bugs or design issues early, before it’s released to everyone.
- Survey Satisfaction: how satisfied are your customers with the support they get and their environment? What features or parts of the product or service are frustrating?, etc…
The Digital Transformation Strategy Advisor’s tips for becoming a One Face Customer-Centric Digital Organization
Can you force your customers to do things? No. They are just averse to complicated products or services that don’t make sense to them, don’t help them. You have to design a intuitive product or service that they appreciate and that improves their business or lives. In doing so, you earn the business and attention of your customers.
The trick is to connect with the right audience and not be afraid to experiment. There is no wonder way to respond to people unless you try a lot of things. Foster data-driven actionable quick-wins and do not be afraid to think outside the box.
Customers can now compare products and services in real time and across multiple devices. Only One Face Customer-Centric Organizations will win a true customer engagement and will achieve to unlock Digital Business Revenue.